We were early investors in Uber, Airtable, The Trade Desk, Cruise, PillPack, ThredUp, Coupang, Whoop, Formlabs, and over 300 other great startups. Now, we’d like to be early backers of your career.
About Founder Collective
Founder Collective is a seed-stage venture capital firm built by entrepreneurs. Our mission is to be the most aligned fund for founders at the seed stage. This informs everything we do. We keep our fund size small — approximately $280M over four funds. The GPs are the biggest LPs in the fund — we’re principals, not agents. We’re not lifecycle investors — we invest at the beginning and align our interests by diluting alongside founders over time. Everyone on the investment team has founded a startup or massively scaled one. All these choices align our interests with the founders and make Founder Collective a unique partner for entrepreneurs.
We also believe that venture capital should come with a warning label and that themes are poor predictors of startup success. These ideas run counter to a lot of VC orthodoxy, but it has worked well for us so far. Over the last dozen years, we’ve backed nearly 25 $1B+ startups.
We’re just getting started and could use your help. You will gain real skills in every facet of venture capital and shape the investments we make. We treat MBA Associates as apprentices we seek to develop and coach, rather than interns simply getting work done for us. This is a year-long commitment that beings in the spring semester on a part-time basis, goes full-time during the summer, and returns to part-time during the following academic year.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for MBAs to join our team in our Harvard Square and Soho offices this summer and through the academic year! You’ll be a vital part of the team, and your responsibilities will include:
🧲 Sourcing deals
🤝 Meeting with founders
🔬 Driving diligence efforts
🗺️ Conducting market analysis and building models
👋 Supporting portfolio companies
☎️ Making reference calls
🧭 Influencing fund strategy via research and presentations
🤳 Tiktoking about VC (optional, but social media savvy is a plus)
And much more…
In return, the FC team will provide significant mentorship, coaching, and feedback. We believe that the venture business is a craft that is best learned by practice. We invest heavily in our own investment team, and many of our former associates have gone on to great things — starting companies, joining great startups, and launching their own VC funds.
- Startup experience: We’re looking for people who have worked at startups, and ideally, founded one.
- MBA: You must be enrolled in an MBA program and authorized to work in the US.
- Curiosity: Student associates refresh our perspective, so we prefer candidates with strong opinions and considered insights on the tech landscape and future of investing.
- Self-direction: Our Investment Associates own big projects; we expect a high degree of self-direction and the ability to move quickly.
- Open-mindedness: We invest in B2B, B2C, D2C, Hardware, FinTech, Crypto, HealthTech, PropTech…basically everything from automated aquaculture to zoological DNA testing!
- Network: An established network in NYC or Boston is a big plus. We’re currently working remotely but plan to return to the office in 2022.
Most of all, the Associate needs to be able to build rapport with prospective and current portfolio companies and become a trusted, value-add member of our small team.
This is a paid position. The MBA Associate position begins in the spring semester on a part-time basis, moves to a full-time commitment for the summer, and continues on through the following academic year on a part-time basis. When part-time, it is about 10–20 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a resume, links to any relevant social media profiles, and a short overview of 2–3 early-stage companies you find interesting to MBAAssociate@foundercollective.com. We look forward to meeting you!