Founder Collective is a seed stage venture capital firm located in Cambridge, MA and San Francisco, CA. We invest in startups at the earliest stages and if you’ve ever read BuzzFeed or called an Uber, you’re familiar with some of the companies we’ve funded.
This job is an amazing opportunity to get a solid education in the accounting and finance for VC/PE funds. There aren’t many “typical days.” You’ll be working on fund accounting, valuations, reconciliations, financial reporting, audit and tax support among other things. You’ll have experience to a range of financial functions that would be hard to find elsewhere and you’ll be able to apply your skills in an endless number of ways. The role is primarily accounting and there is a busy season, so we’re looking for someone who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get stuff done.
If that’s you, reach out to us at: FundAccountant@foundercollective.com
The Fund Accountant will support the finance function at Founder collective. The role will report directly to the Head of Finance and Operations. The finance function will have exposure to a broad range of functions. The following list outlines some of the duties:
- Maintenance of general ledger and accounting records for the funds and related entities, including preparation of journal entries based upon investment and fund documentation
- Assistance in preparation of financial statements, including quarterly close process and allocations
- Preparation of capital calls and distributions
- Monthly reconciliations
- Preparation of investor requests
- Assistance with annual audit and tax filings
- Assist with investment valuation
- Ad-hoc reporting, finance, and operational data projects
- Perform administrative tasks supporting the finance function
Of course, most of all, the role is to be ready to pitch in wherever and whenever help is needed.
The candidate should have a positive outlook and be ready for whatever challenge comes along. Previous accounting experience in alternative investments would provide an ideal background to get up to speed quickly in this position. We would like you to hit the ground running, but don’t expect that you will know everything on day one. We’re looking for someone eager and passionate who wants to broaden their exposure to fund finance.
We’re looking for a fast-learner who is comfortable with multi-tasking and energetic. The candidate will need to be flexible (possibly required to work outside of normal office hours to meet the requirements of the role), positive, professional, trustworthy and have the ability to communicate at all levels with minimal supervision.
In return, the candidate will have exposure to many aspects of Founder Collective, its portfolio and will be mentored by an experienced Head of Finance and Operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 0–3 years in an accounting role
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- GL experience strongly preferred
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with in MS Office applications, particular emphasis on Excel
- Proficiency Gmail & Google Suite
- Quickbooks and Dynamics experience is a plus
- Salesforce / database experience is a plus
About Founder Collective
We are based in Cambridge and San Francisco. FC is among the most active seed funds in the country and we have approximately $200M under management and invested in over 250 portfolio companies. We have invested in transformative startups from Uber to Buzzfeed, HotelTonight to Periscope, Cruise to TradeDesk, and many, many other fantastic companies.
Our mission is to be the most aligned fund for founders at the seed stage. We believe in “efficient entrepreneurship ” — a set of core beliefs around how we run the fund, and how we help founders scale great business while preserving their ownership and optionality. We are “empathetic believers” because we recognize that not all companies succeed, but what founders need are high-conviction, like-minded investors who stick by them through thick and thin.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Cambridge, MA
Required education: Bachelor’s